Apple released a new gift card product today that unites the previous App Store & iTunes Store gift cards with Apple Store gift cards. This new approach offers a much simpler experience. Read on to learn how to manage and use a new universal Apple Gift Card.
The previous approach was to have separate gift cards for the App Store & iTunes Store and Apple Store leaving the door open for confusion and frustration for those who did not enter into the differences which were then passed on to the prize takers.
Now when you redeem an Apple Gift Card, it is added to what is called your Apple Account Balance (linked to your Apple ID) and can be used throughout the App Store & iTunes Store (including iOS and Mac) and Apple Store for any product in America Union. That also means you can use balances for other iCloud and Apple subscriptions such as Apple TV +, Apple News +, Apple Arcade, Apple Books, and more.
How to use the universal Apple Gift Card on iPhone, iPad and Mac
Digital gift card
- When you receive an Apple Gift Card that is emailed, you can bring it to the physical Apple Store to use
- Or, tap the Redeem Now link in the email to use it on your iPhone, iPad or Mac
- The value will automatically be added to your Apple Account Balance
- Tap Store Apps Store or Apple Shop Online to use it immediately
- Tap Done in the upper right corner to use it later
If you want to send an Apple Gift Card to someone, you can do it from the new Apple Gift Card website. Tap or click “Buy” in the upper right corner.
If you want to add funds to your own Apple Account Balance, you can do so in several places including the App Store app> tap on your profile icon (top right)> Add Funds to your Apple ID.
Physical gift card
- If someone sends you a physical Apple Gift Card, you can redeem it in several places
- One option: Open the App Store app> tap on your profile icon (top right)> Redeem Gift Card or Code
- Now you can add your gift card manually or with your camera
- Other options: Open the Settings app> tap your name> Payment & Delivery> Apple Account> Redeem
- Add your gift card manually or with the camera
- The third option uses the Redeem link at the top of the Apple Gift Card website here
How to use your Apple Gift Card
Use for apps, music, movies, TV shows, subscriptions, etc.
Every purchase you make with Apple through the App Store, iTunes Store, subscriptions like iCloud, Apple Music, Apple News +, Apple TV +, etc. Will use your Apple Account Balance first before recording your debit or credit card that is in the file for your Apple ID.
Apple also notes that your balance cannot be used by others if you use Family Sharing, only you.
Use the Apple Store Apps
- To use your Apple Gift Card or Apple Account Balance when making a purchase on the Apple Store app, first shop and add what I want to your “Bag”.
- Tap Checkout (don’t select Apple Pay)
- Now look for the Apple Account Balance option to use all or part of it
- After entering the amount, tap Apply in the upper right corner
- Now you can place an order
How to check your Apple Account balance
Where can you find your balance when you are ready to make a purchase?
Settings on the iPhone and iPad
- You can see your balance at any time by going to the Settings app> tap your name> Payment & Delivery> Apple Account
App Store on iPhone and iPad
- In the App Store on iPhone and iPad, you can see your Apple Account Balance by tapping on your profile icon in the upper right corner
- Look for how much you have near the top below Game Center
App Store on Mac
- On the Mac App Store, click on your profile icon in the lower left corner
- Now in the upper right corner, click View Information
- Enter your password if needed
- Apple Account Balance is the third part down
iTunes Store on iPhone and iPad
- From the iTunes application on the iPhone and iPad, swipe down
- On iPhone balance displayed there, on iPad, tap your Apple ID to view it