When you remove your Apple Watch, everything on it is erased and returned to factory settings. You will need to do this if you want to pair it with another iPhone or fix some watch problems. So, let’s go ahead and learn how to unpair your Apple Watch from a paired iPhone or even without it.
How to Unpair Your Apple Watch With iPhone
Doing so using the Watch app on iPhone will back up your Apple Watch (which will allow you to restore it in the future), and you can also remove Activation Lock. In most cases, this should be the preferred method.
Start by bringing the two devices closer and following the steps below.
- Open the Watch app on the paired iPhone and make sure you’re on the My Watch tab.
- From the top left, tap All Watches.
- Tap the ‘i’ next to the watch you want to remove.
- Tap Unmount Apple Watch.
- For Cellular Models: Choose to stay (if you want to re-pair the watch and iPhone) or remove packages.
- Tap Unpair YourName’s Apple Watch. Enter your Apple ID password when prompted. This will remove Activation Lock.
Now, iPhone will back up the watch. Hence, it may take a while for the process to complete. Once done, your Apple Watch and iPhone will be successfully removed.
How to Unpair Your Apple Watch Without an iPhone
You can unpair Apple Watch even if you don’t have access to the paired iPhone. The only drawback is that watch backups are not made via this method (since the iPhone is not physically near or connected). Plus, Activation Lock is still there (but you can remove it via iCloud) – more on that after the steps.
- Press the Digital Crown to see all applications. From here, tap on the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down and tap Reset.
- Tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- For Mobile Models: Choose to keep or delete packages.
- Scroll down and tap Delete All. Confirm with your watch passcode, if asked.
This will unpair your Apple Watch and erase all data. However, the Activation Key remains. So, if you plan to sell this watch or gift it to someone, you need to disable Activation Lock on your Apple Watch.