Apple TV Plus is a streaming platform by Apple that allows users to view Apple’s original content when they create an account. Every month, a new Apple Originals is added to the list available to watch. While shows on Apple TV Plus may not be as sad as Game of Thrones or Outlaw King, there are still some that may not be age-appropriate. As parents, we don’t want to expose our children to such content. Thus, we will carry out the steps needed to set up and use parental controls on Apple TV Plus.
Setting up parental controls
Because parental control does not register on a variety of different platforms, it must be set on all devices that will be used to access Apple TV Plus.
Restrict access on Apple TV
- From your Apple TV home screen, select the Settings application.
- From within Settings, click General.
- Scroll and look for Restrictions.
- After you are directed to the Restrictions page, you must select Restrictions again under the Parental Control category.
- You must create a 4-digit passcode. On the next page, you need to confirm your 4 digit passcode. Click OK. Restrictions are now activated. If you have already created a passcode, you must enter the existing passcode before changing the restriction.
- To control the ranking of the content seen on the device, click Movie. Found further below the list of restrictions.
- From the ranking list that appears, select the highest rank that will be allowed to be seen.
- Repeat this step for TV Shows.
Restrict access from application settings (iPhone and iPad)
- From your iPhone or iPad home screen, launch Settings.
- Scroll down in Settings and select Screen Time.
- Below the average screen time listed, there is a list of settings. Select Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Activate Content and Privacy Restrictions by activating the button next to it.
- From the list below, select Content Limits.
- Similar to changing ratings for Apple TV content, tap on Movies and TV shows. Then, choose the highest rank that the user will allow to stream the content.
Restrict access to Apple TV applications (Mac devices)
- Launch the Apple TV application on your Mac device.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Tap on the Restrictions option.
- Activate restrictions. You will be asked to create and verify a 4 digit passcode. The restrictions setting will be activated.
- You will be able to configure content ratings from Movies and TV Shows.
- To access restricted content, you must enter a passcode every time.
Restrict access to the Web version
- On apple.com, log in to your account with your Apple ID and Password. You must click the Enter button that appears on the top right of your screen.
- On the upper right side of your screen, hover over the Account icon.
- Then, click Account Settings from the menu that will appear.
- Under the Content Restrictions header, you must switch the switch to enable Content Restrictions.
- Create and verify a passcode.
- You will be asked to provide your email address. Enter your e-mail address and click the Continue button.
- When a window with a green checkmark appears, click Finish.
- To change content ratings for movies and TV shows, click on each option and choose the highest rating viewers can access without needing to enter a passcode.