Want to use Siri to control AirPods and AirPods Pro with just your voice? Thanks to Siri’s voice assistant, you can perform various tasks such as adjusting the volume, checking battery percentage, finding directions, and more, without having to take your iPhone out of your pocket.
AirPods are undoubtedly the most popular wireless headphones available today. One of the main reasons why AirPods is so successful among Apple users is due to the fact that AirPods works seamlessly across all Apple devices such as the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Just like almost every other Apple product available today, both AirPods and AirPods Pro come with the default Siri.
If you want to use Siri’s various voice commands, read together to learn how you can use Siri voice control with AirPods and AirPods Pro. You obviously need to have AirPods or AirPods Pro paired with an iPhone or iPad to have this function.
How to use “Hey Siri” with AirPods and AirPods Pro
If you have second generation AirPods or AirPods Pro, you can call Siri with just your voice. This is possible with the help of a custom Apple H1 chip that supports these headphones. However, this feature must first be activated on your iOS device before it can be used on your AirPods. So, just follow the steps below.
- Open the “Settings” application on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- In the Settings menu, scroll down and tap “Siri & Search”.
- As you can see here, the option to activate this feature is located directly above. Tap the switch to activate “Hi Siri”.
That’s all there is to it.
From now on, just say “Hey Siri” and then continue with questions like “How are the batteries in my AirPods?” or “How do I get home from here?”.
You can also control your AirPods by saying “Lower the volume” or “Skip to the next song”.
How to Use Siri Manually in AirPods
If you are using a first generation AirPod or if you don’t want to use “Hai Siri” and avoid awkward moments in public, this procedure is for you. This varies depending on the AirPod you have, so just follow the steps below.
- If you are using a first or second generation AirPod, you should be able to access Siri by double-tapping one of the AirPods.
- If you use the newer AirPods Pro with different design features, you can set it to call Siri when you press and hold a force sensor. By default, this action is used to switch between Noise cancellation and Transparency modes.
How to Use Announce Messages with Siri on AirPods
If you are using second generation AirPods or AirPods Pro powered by the H1 chip, Siri can read the text messages you receive, which is useful when you are driving. This is a relatively new feature that was introduced with iOS 13.2 and newer. So, make sure your iOS device is updated and just follow the steps below to turn it on.
- Open the “Notifications” section in Settings as shown in the image below.
- Here, you will see the settings directly above the application list. This is disabled by default, so just tap “Announce Message with Siri”.
- Now, just use the toggle to turn on this feature. You also have the option to let Siri reply to your incoming message without confirmation.
Now, if you’ve come this far, it’s safe to say that you’ve learned how to use Siri on your AirPods and AirPods Pro.
Despite the criticism he received, Siri is still a very strong voice assistant who is an integral part of the Apple ecosystem. It is available on almost every Apple device available today in one way or another.
Do you use a Mac? If so, you might also be interested in learning how to use Siri voice commands with your macOS device. Unfortunately, if you use AirPods with an Android device or Windows PC, you certainly won’t be able to take advantage of voice control at all, because Siri is limited to Apple devices.